> Naming Your File
– Colleges and Universities
The National Student Clearinghouse recommends the following guidelines in file names.
1. Include your OPE ID and school branch codes (if you do not have a branch code, use “00”).
2. Use an optional two or three letter extension to identify the type of file layout.
- “12345600.CLR“ is from school code 123456, branch 00 in Clearinghouse standard file format
- “12345600.EDI“ is from school code 123456, branch 00 in EDI Transaction Set 190 Version 5010 format
- “2001Grads12345600.txt” Text-tab delimited is a file method used to send StudentTracker® inquiry requests from school code 123456 branch 00
3. Use unique filenames when uploading multiples files at the same time. A unique file name is required to avoid overwriting files with the same filename within the same login session.
- “12345600_SUMMER_SOT.CLR” and “12345600_FALL_FOT.CLR”
4. Use only valid Windows NTFS characters as part of the filename.
We do not recommend using the following characters: / \ “ < > | : ? * % & !
– High Schools and High School Districts
Your file name should:
- Include your high school’s ACT code or your district’s NCES code
- “123456Graduates2010.CLR” is from high school ACT code 123456 in Clearinghouse standard file format
> Compressing Your File
You will probably want to compress your file to minimize FTP transmission time. The Clearinghouse will uncompress your file using PKZIP version 2.02 T.
If you plan to use a compression utility that may be incompatible with PKZIP, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.